The Lakes Coolum’s Location and Things to Do.
Located in the heart of the Sunshine Coast on the doorstep of world class golf courses and beaches, The Lakes Coolum is at the midpoint between Mooloolaba’s cafes, fisheries and shopping and Noosa’s unique galleries, boutiques and restaurants.
Challenge yourself to a game of championship golf on the course right next door or one of the many other local courses such as Twin Waters, Peregian Springs, Noosa Springs or Pelican Waters. Spend your days visiting the pristine beaches, rivers, rain forests and national parks of the Sunshine Coast. Go further afield to explore Fraser Island and Rainbow Beach or check out the the array of adventurous outdoor activities nearby which range from catamaraning to go-karting to sky jumping!
Visit the famous Eumundi Markets, where you can shop for artisans’ unique creations, sample local flavours at the many food stalls, or indulge in a relaxing massage. Stock up on fresh food and growing tips from local producers at the Yandina or Noosa farmers’ markets. Spend a Sunday morning at one of the many Peregian Beach cafes after a stroll through the Peregian markets. Ride your bike along the cycleway to Bulli Cafe at Marcoola, one beach south. Enjoy casual family meals at Marcoola or Coolum surf clubs after a day at the beach. Take the kids to Mooloolaba’s Underwater World and pick up some fresh seafood from the wharf on your way back.
With a temperate year-round climate, nature lovers will appreciate the nearby waterways, lakes, and trails for biking or walking. Follow the tourist drive to Montville and Maleny in the mountains of the Sunshine Coast’s hinterland where you’ll discover villages bursting with pottery studios, art galleries, antique stores, and award-winning restaurants and cafes. Walk (or run!) to the top of Mount Coolum, but don’t forget your camera and water bottle so you can savour the view from the top. If you have small children, they will love the more gentle climb to the summit of Emu Mountain in Coolum.
Dining in Coolum
If you prefer to stay closer to home you can wander over to some of the many restaurants at the resort a two to three minute walk from your villa…or try some of the great local restaurants that the area has to offer. Here are a few suggestions:
Ph: 5446 4314
Modern Australian cuisine. Located on David Low Way in the Element complex. Bookings are essential.
Ph: 5446 1119
Located opposite Coles in Birtwill Street, Coolum.
My Place Restaurant and Bar -
Ph: 5446 4433
Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Best views and good service.
Located at 1768 David Low Way just south of the main street lights in Coolum.
The Caf @ Coolum
Ph: 5446 3564
Enjoy casual breakfasts, lunches and premium coffee professionally prepared by trained baristas along with free wi fi.
Opposite Coles in Birtwill Street, Coolum.
Coolum Surf Club
Dine on the balcony while you watch your kids on the beach.
Ph: 5448 7321
Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner from Wednesday to Sunday. Great coffee. Excellent wood fired pizzas and salads from 5pm. Children’s playground opposite. Very family and dog friendly. You can also ride to Bulli along the bike path at the end of Tanah Street East. It is an easy 5km ride from The Lakes along shaded cycleway.
1 Lorraine Ave, Marcoola and right opposite the beach.
Cucina Al Mare
Ph: 54 50 5308
Home style cuisine with an Italian flavour. Located in Town of Seaside 5km south.
12 Merchants Parade, Marcoola.
The Loose Goose Bar and Restaurant
Ph: 5457 0887
A hidden gem on the Sunshine Coast with great lunch time specials.
Located at Twin Waters.
Ph: 5448 1491
Modern Australian fish restaurant and excellent fish and chip take away.
Ph: 0422 190 265
Organic breakfast, lunch and coffee and a large selection of organic produce.
Baked Poetry Cafe
Ph: 5448 3500
German style bakery and coffee shop. Open for breakfast from 9am and lunch. Great coffee.
ph: 5471 3697 (Bookings essential.)
Modern Australian cuisine.
Note that the Peregian Beach restaurants are all located around a park, which was in fact the first Olympic size swimming pool on the Sunshine Coast. So while you sit and enjoy dinner the kids can keep themselves entertained playing on the grass, in the sand pit or climbing the trees.
The Benchmark Restaurant & Wine Bar
Phone: (07) 5448 1911
Benchmark offers a safe family friendly enviroment for you & your kids.
3/2 Balgownie Dr, Peregian Springs.
The Spirit House
Ph: (07) 54468994
Set in lush tropical gardens nestled around a tranquil pond, bubbling waterfalls, tinkling wind chimes, the sounds of nature – the Spirit House is a delight for all senses. Award winning contemporary Asian food.
20 Ninderry Road, Yandina.
Golf Courses Coolum
If you prefer to stay closer to home you can wander over to the golf course at the Palmer Coolum Resort a two to three minute walk from your villa.
or try some of the great local golf courses that the area has to offer:
Coolum Golf Course
3 mins drive – ph 5446 3125
Lumeah Drive, Mt Coolum, QLD 4573
Play a round of 18 or 9 holes with spectacular Mount Coolum as your backdrop. Acknowledged as one of the most picturesque and popular courses on the Sunshine Coast.
Green fees from $28.00 per round.
Twin Waters Golf Club
10 mins drive – ph 5457 2444
151 Ocean Drive, Twin Waters QLD 4564
The stunning setting and challenging layout combine to produce an enjoyable game of golf for all players. The course is internationally recognized as one of the top six resort courses in Australia.
Green fees from $77.00 per round.
- Sunshine Coast airport is 10 minutes away serviced by Jetstar and VirginBlue.
- Noosa Heads and Hastings Street – 20 minutes by car.
- Eumundi Markets open Wednesdays and Saturdays – 25 minutes by car.
- Mt Coolum’s base (Australia’s 2nd largest monolith after Uluru) is a 5 minute walk. The return climb is two hours at a leisurely pace and you will be rewarded with 360 degree views of the Sunshine Coast. You may see migrating whales June – October.
- Fraser Island offers awesome 4WD day tours to coloured sands, freshwater lakes and tall rain forests. Did you know that Fraser Island is the world’s largest sand island with a world heritage listing?
- Whale watch from the beach or headlands. Whale One at Mooloolaba runs tour boats from July through October.
- Steve Irwin’s Australia Zoo is a 45 minute drive down the Sunshine Motorway and the Bruce Highway to Beerwah on Steve Irwin Way.
- Coolum Beach – for a different beach with shops and restaurants – 5 minutes by car.
- Mooloolaba – shopping, restaurants and north facing surf beaches – 20 minutes by car.
- Gold Coast and theme parks – 2.15 hours by car.
- Maroochy River Jet Ski Hire – 25 minutes by car.
- The Big Go Kart Track – 25 minutes by car.
- Aussie World & Ettamogah Pub – 20 minutes by car.
- Cinemas at Noosa and Maroochydore.
- Top Shots Mini Golf at Maroochydore – 25 minutes by car.
- Learn to surf at Coolum Surf School, Coolum Beach – 5 minutes by car.